Thursday, June 7, 2012

Stronglifts 5x5 Progress - Week 5

So the new way of doing things will be like this.  I will be updating weekly progress on either Thursday or Friday.  If I have anything else to say it will be whenever but it'll be rare that I post anything.

Progress:
Weight: 160lbs, no real changes.  Haven't been drinking and back to regular eating habits.
Squats: 160lbs, up 10lbs.
Bench: 125lbs, I finally hit it.
Overhead Press:  85lbs, same as last time, 5-5-5-5-4, couldn't get the last rep.
Barbell Row: 115lbs, up 10lbs from last post, I will be doing this weight again.  Don't feel I rowed high enough to count it as complete reps.
Deadlift: 240lbs, up 10lbs.

Today's workout, I was suppose to do 165 for squats.  I did not though, I deloaded to 150lbs to go back and work on form.  First time at160lbs, it was doable, but the 4th & 5th sets the later reps were very bad form.  I tried to hit 160 again but fuck, first rep was INSANELY difficult.  At 150lbs, it was good, I know the first time I hit 150lbs, my form wasn't all that great, but it was very solid today.

Same thing with benchpress, I deloaded by 10lbs, and really focused on form instead of just adding weight and trying to throw the bar up there.

But but Dee, you ain't following the program...

9. Lowering The Weight. Never lower the weight because the first 2 sets were hard. Go for 5 reps. If you only get 1 rep per set, so be it. The only way to get used to lifting a weight, is to lift it.
Only lower the weight if you got injured, if you're not confident about your technique or if you stalled 3 times with the same weight. Read how to Squat safely when alone and how to Bench Press safely when alone.

While increasing #s is good, you have to be mindful of your form too.  It's not a race, think about the long term gains.

No comments:

Post a Comment